I bought one of Ron Clark's books and he signed it for me.
Those words: "Dream Big!" resonated with me.
In just a few weeks, I will set about my job of teaching my students information literacy skills that they will need to be successful throughout their lives. But there is this other side of my job that I have a deep desire to nurture this year. I am charged as a librarian with encouraging my students to read for personal pleasure and growth...to develop a deep, deep love for reading. I have the luxury of providing access to a wide range of book and materials from graphic novels to biographies and everything in between. Technology opens even more doors for finding, creating, and sharing information,
I saw a poster once that said: The top 10 Ways to become a better reader. There was only one word on the poster: READ! My challenge is to get my students to buy into that idea.
This year, I am going to set about truly applying Rangnathan's Five Laws of Librarianship:
1. Books are for use
2. Every person his or her book
3. Every book its reader
4. Save the time of the Reader
5..The Library is a growing organism
Number 4 and 5 are pressing in on me. Is it time to step out of my comfort zone some more? I need to look at what hinders my students from being able to find the books that they want to read. I also need to embrace the idea of the library being a growing organism that can change over time.
I'm dreaming big dreams for our library this year. Dreams that will hopefully open doors for my students and provide them with life changing opportunities.
I'm dreaming big dreams for our library this year. Dreams that will hopefully open doors for my students and provide them with life changing opportunities.

No comments:
Post a Comment